118 W 100 N, Logan, UT 84321, 435-994-8706
History of Harmony Lodge No. 21 Logan Utah
The growth and development of Harmony Lodge No. 21 from the issuance of the charter on January 19, 1916 through the succeeding years, is a history of immeasurable effort and sacrifice on the part of its hundreds of Masons who have contributed greatly to this Lodge in particular and Masonry in general.
It is to Corinne Lodge No. 5 that Harmony Lodge and all Masonry in Northern Utah is indebted. Corinne Lodge is the original active craft and sponsored Weber Lodge No. 6 of Ogden, Harmony Lodge No. 21 of Logan and Amity Lodge No. 23 of Brigham City. We especially owe a great deal to the founders of Harmony for their work in traveling to Corinne to keep Masonry alive in Cache Valley and to gather the proficiency so that a petition could be presented to Grand Lodge for a dispensation to organize a Lodge in Logan. The transportation facilities of the early 1900's were such that it took a great deal of human stamina and a sincere interest in Masonry to make a trip to Corinne.
In 1914 the first steps were taken in forming a Lodge in Logan. On June 15, 1915 the Grand Lodge of Utah assembled in Logan for the purpose of instituting the new Lodge. The Lodge was instituted Logan Lodge U.D. with 25 charter members, they were (in the order they signed the bylaws in 1916); John Robert Morton, Harold Warner Brangham, Joseph James Bithell, William Gottlieb Ruckenbrod, Samuel Leven, Arthur Fred Wittenberger, Edwin Tuttle Lewis, Preston Atherton Thatcher, Roy Snow McAllister, Louis Linnartz, John Henry Westover, Robert Mitchel Simpson, Edward Gaige, Harry Taylor Stoney, Joseph Sidney Leven, Harold Mook Wolf, John Clair McCloskey, Carl Johann Thim, Richard Stanley Webber, Bert Earl Gordon, Elmer Holt, Alma Molyneaux, Albert Bertelson, John C Dillin, and Roy Rudolph.
Harmony has always been well represented in the great conflicts of our country, both in men in uniform as well as on the home front. The Lodge donated the cornerstone for the present Presbyterian Church. On October 24, 1924, the Most Worshipful Master of the Grand Lodge of Utah officiated in the laying of the cornerstone.
Harmony was also instrumental in the chartering of Clara Barton Chapter No. 16 Order of the Eastern Star on June 15, 1919 and Logan Chapter No. 8 Royal Arch Masons on May 22, 1925.
For many years Harmony held their meeting in the Oddfellows Hall; however, due to a fire in November, 1948 a dispensation was allowed to establish quarters in the Presbyterian Church, and later in the Elks Lodge which was then located on the third floor of the former Hotel Eccles. It is here interestingly to note that the Elks used Harmony's Temple when fire destroyed their Lodge building in 1962.
In August, 1949, the Lodge requested permission of Grand Lodge to build a Temple in Logan. The Grand Lodge commission, impressed with the start Harmony had already made, granted the approval and construction moved along at a good pace. I would be highly remiss if I did not here recognize the contribution of time, effort and finical aid extended by Past Master Henry F. Laub. It was through his personal persuasiveness that the cost of materials for the construction were kept to a minimum and the finical assistance extended by other Lodges and neighboring businesses was kept to a maximum.
Past Master Delbert E. Smith served two years as Master during the period of construction, 1949, and 1950. To him we are most grateful for the many trials and tribulations suffered and the countless hours he devoted to this Lodge.
On June 3, 1950 the Most Worshipful Grand Master John Stark of the Grand Lodge came to Logan to lay the cornerstone, (the cornerstone was slipped into place),and dedicated the building after which, the first meeting in the new building was held.
The members paid special contributions for several years to pay off a personal loan extended by Past Master Henry F. Laub at the completion of the Temple. The members of Clara Barton Chapter No. 16 donated the material and made the drapes.